Monday, April 1, 2024

The Field Guide of Creatures in their Wild Pursuits

What is a poem
But a page from the field guide
Of creatures in their wild pursuits

I wrote this haiku in response to the poem Field Guide by Tony Hoagland, which I've copied below.  What a fine poem it is.  A friend had posted it on FB and as soon as I read it, I went and bought the book it's from - Unincorporated Persons in the Late Honda Dynasty.  I rarely buy poetry books, but that was a title I couldn't resist. A title that immediately conveyed a sensibility - the same sensibility that informs the poem -- and charts a path for the poet, as the self-appointed explorer of our strained kinship to the natural world, filtered through the mediums of close observation, Tang poetry and digital ink. I love poets who master this form of direct address, in which the poetry is secondary to the narrative and what the poet has to say.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Preparation

 If the world was ending Later today I’d spend  The morning the same way Weeding in the garden and Reading for an hour or two To satisfy my ...