Wednesday, April 3, 2024

A Spring Like None Other

There's no spring other
Than the present one vividly
Rushing back to life
There's no time for regrets
About things left undone
There are only seeds to be sown
And always more shoveling

And to make the most 
Of these daylight hours
You must extend yourself too
A little further every day 
That's what a growing      
Season is all about


*********

These days I don't write many poems. But there's an April exception. The older I get the more I love spring, so every once in a while, like an unfolding blossom, a new April poem bursts into view.

Mind you, age has taken its toll and now that I'm well into my sixties there's a noticeable difference in how I respond to spring's magic spell. A decade ago, when I first started writing poems, I felt swept up enough to write a poem every day for the month of April. (You can read those poems here, on the Lampoetry blog, in reverse chronological order.) Now I don’t have the stamina to sustain that sort of output, so this poem, short and sweet as it is, will have to suffice.

Marissa took this picture the other day, which I think sums up anything else I might have to say.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Preparation

 If the world was ending Later today I’d spend  The morning the same way Weeding in the garden and Reading for an hour or two To satisfy my ...